Saturday, October 18, 2014

Old Rock Star Blues Bob Seger

     
Bob Seger is an icon in many parts of the country. That’s especially true in Michigan where he lives and works. So anything he does rarely goes unnoticed near his home in Southeast Michigan. He has sold millions of albums during his long career and probably could have sold even more if he were able to increase his production. His latest album Ride Out took six years to complete. My curiosity got the best of me after hearing about his latest release and especially because he and I operate in the same orbit totally unaware of each other. That’s what possesed me to check out his initial tour stop.


I actually stayed up late last night to watch Bob Seger introduce his new album Ride Out to a large studio audience and a much larger national audience on the Jimmy Kimmel Show.  It was the least I could do for ol’ Bob. After all, he and I are contemporaries. We’re also practically next door neighbors. Well sort of, in that he lives on the lake adjoining the lake that I adjoin. I am within walking distance of the water. Bob is on the water in a home that is somewhat larger than mine by 15,000 square feet give or take an acre.


I can’t say that I am a huge fan of Bob’s. I am no one's fan in particular, but I did love Bob’s Chevy commercial. So where's all this leading?


As I mentioned, Bob was on the Jimmy Kimmel show (I think I have the right JImmy). All those young whippersnappers on late night shows look the same to me. Anyhow, as luck would have it, Seger ‘s segment came up; so at 12:20 AM or thereabouts, this old guy and his unhappy sleep deprived mutt were tuned in to the performance.


Truthfully, I felt sorry for the pink skinned, white haired, chubby old rock singer (sounds like a song title) who was trying his best to capture his long lost youth while imitating the night moves and Jagger gyrations, he had obviously practiced but forgot. I thought that while some old guys actually look pretty good with their greying hair and wrinkles, Bob looks too pink, too chubby to fill the role of a rock and roll legend. Besides, he needs a new hair style to replace the cut that was popular 40 or 50 yrs ago.


On stage, Bob attempted all manner of moves and gyrations that some expensive choreographer put together for the little white haired chub to make himself legend-like: stage gimmicks like microphone twirling and pointing to "in the know" individuals in the front rows, then finally rounding off his performance with suggestive facial expressions, toothy smiles, a 6 foot saxophone solo and band cues for his Silver Bullet posse that were not at all spontaneous or necessary.


Camera angles made it difficult to determine if he was hitting it off with his large audience. His  dance steps were fitting I suppose for an elderly old guy who dared put his bones to the test with every move. At the end he did receive a big hand from the crowd,  but that can be made to happen by flashing cue cards to the audience.


I have to admire his stamina for the last number he did. His voice tended to fade in and out, but when you go live that happens. The local papers here tell about his daily workouts to build strength for the tour. I hope the old guy makes it and his Marlboro lights don’t cause any breakdowns.

But it’s over. Bob set out to do a job and he accomplish his goal. All things considered, he put on a decent show. Good work neighbor, but when this tour is over, it will surely be time for you to Ride Out of Dodge the last time. Write a few more great Chevy commercials but syop your silly stage strutting. You're too damn pink, too chubby and you need a new hair do,

No comments:

Post a Comment